Monday, March 16, 2009

The Things Life Brings Us!

Hey Everyone!
So....let's talk about how things are going. You guys are interacting with the Parada family right about now I assume. You'll have to send me pictures and tell me all about it. Dad, I hear that you were able to use your amazing spanish skills in talking to them. How wonderful! Ooh I just wonder what's going on!
Mom, Dad, and Jacob, those Christmas-wrapped presents are for you. I was going to send them and others about six months ago but time never allowed it. The other item is for David for his birthday. Hopefully you can wrap it up before the 20th and give it to him with lots of love attached from me.
Things here in Texas are going well. The temperature dropped dramatically this week and it's been kind of nice to have to wrap up in a scarf and wear three or four socks with my tights. It's nice! Hermana Roundy is still here with me but it's looking like her visa is going to be coming any day now. On Friday morning, we got a new companion named Sister Gibbs. She's a lovely soul who is 68 years old. She makes us dinner and comes with us to some of our appointments. She knows a little bit of spanish but not enough to make any sense. She's fun to be around! But its crazy because as soon as Hermana Roundy leaves, Sister Gibbs will be my companion for a while. It's the first time I've had a senior sister! I'm so excited! We totally have a laptop in the house. A laptop! Anyway, it's been a growing experience with her around. God knows what to do to us to help us grow into less selfish and more patient people.
This week we've been working hard but maybe not as hard as the week before. We've been practicing being a lot more bold and its surprising how natural its become for me. I feel like it's not a big deal to ask people on the first visit, "What would prevent you from being baptized?" whereas before I couldn't bring myself to saying it. It's been fun this week not holding back. Because of that, we have a cute couple with a baptismal date for the 11th of april. The wife is pregnant and due at the end of April. But the husband has been reading the Book of Mormon and knows that its true. He wants to be ready for baptism and his wife says that her kids love church and she seemed excited to bring them. We'll have to work really faithful to help them reach their goals.
Luis Hernandez, our little new convert, is going strong. We went to a Fireside last night with him and he came in a pressed white shirt and tie. He looked slick. He's excited to serve a mission. He's also just loved by the ward so that's good news. Daniel Fuentes is a genius we found who also wants to be baptized. He analyzes the doctrine and explains it to us to make sure that he's understanding it correctly and he ends up teaching us something. We sit there looking at each other saying, "Yeah...actually that's exactly what it means....why didn't we think of it that way?" Etc. But we need to get the ward family involved with him. They're kind of scared of his genius remarks.
Man, I've learned so many life lessons that I wish I had time to write. It's amazing just how different the mission is today for me than it was a year ago. I know better how to be patient with others. I'm not as focused on myself. I understand the doctrine better. I just want to explain it to ya'll but there's no time! Only three minutes!
Thank you all for loving me and supporting me! Thank you for being alive still. Thanks for raising your kids with pictures of me and Jordan around so that we'll be remembered when we get home.
P.S. When does Jordan get home? Day? And um, mom, can you look into the whole school thing for me. Maybe talk to U of UOk I go!
Love,Hermana Langston

No comments: