Monday, July 20, 2009

I got to see Luis yesterday!

I think I'm starting to enjoy talking in English. I also enjoy listening to people who have the experience of speaking a lot more grammatically correct english like my dad. Thanks for writing me that experience, Pops.

Life as a missionary is probably the most gratifying experience I've ever had. ....I can't even begin to express the love I have developed for this place, for these people I talk to, for the gospel I study and teach every day, for my companion, and most of all for my Heavenly Father who is my constant Teacher. I love riding bikes around town and waving to people, I love wearing skirts to my ankles, I love the feel of a tucked in dress shirt with a high-waisted skirt. I don't mind having my name displayed on my chest for everyone to see. I love meeting a new crowd of people. I love being challenged to do what is right and show the pure love of Christ while doing it. I love failing, because it makes the victory so much more enjoyable. I just like so much about this mission experience, and it's going to be hard to leave it. But until that day comes, I'm sure taking advantage of this calling and having fun with it.

Angel is still learning and is so excited to be baptized! He and some members went to a baptism in Houston with us. It was his first time seeing a baptism and he was pensative all throughout it. Afterwards, he was telling others from Houston 9 that he too was about to be baptized and he'd ask me, "Cuando es?" I'd tell him, the 2nd of August, buddy....the second of August. Smiles exchanged. The people in Houston 9 were so excited to see me and Hna Campbell all over again. They couldn't believe we were companions again. I felt the most at home yesterday than I've ever felt in my mission. Everyone I loved most from Houston 9 was there, it seemed. Even Nacho and Yoli made it to the baptism just to see me and Campbell. Not only did we have good company but, get this, we ate ARROZ CON LECHE afterwards! Can you even beeleenat? It was an all around good time!
As we drove back home last night, I sat in the back of the Schatelowitz' suburban with the window rolled down and looked out at the sky while Sister Campbell talked to Connie and Charles. I truly am amazed at the satisfaction this mission has brought me. I don't refer to the choice to come here for 1.5 years, but basically what my decisions and my Heavenly Father has brought me after this time. I thought about why my obedience has brought me so much happiness, why my conscious effort to hold on to hope throughout trials has brought me to this point, and why the mission would prove to be a testing ground of this. Trials are no longer surprising to me. I think I am starting to realize that trials will always come, and depending on how I react will determine how I transform into someone happier, stronger, more like my Heavenly Father.
Ok, les quiero mucho.
Que siguan adelante en la fe del Senor!
Con amor,
Hermana Langston

No comments: