Monday, August 3, 2009

August Greetings!

Angel Bernabe with Hna Campbell and Jeanette.

Angel Bernabe and ward members at his baptism.

Melanie Robago...this girl really knows how to have a good time with floam. We made ourselves a sister missionary doll. The lady's hair is a little more maintained than my own...and Melanie's!

Our last goodbyes with Mayra Moreno, her daugter and her niece. Houston 9 goodbyes were tender.






Roberto Montalvon and his "chula" missionaries. He's really cool. We're not!







Hello Family!

It's been far too long since I've written a nice long letter filled with jokes. And it will probably be a little while longer. These past two weeks have been great. Angel Bernabe got baptized yesterday and his baptism had a great turnout of ward members who were excited to be a part of the fun. After the ordinance was over, the sisters went to the kitchen to prepare the food, the kids were running around the church with their shoes off and shirts untucked, the missionaries were talking with ward members and investigators who came to watch, and Angel and I had a little heart to heart (with others around us). I asked him what he was feeling and he said "mucho cariC3B1o de la gente." He was so touched that so many people loved him so much. After a year and a half of loneliness in the United States, he finally found a family. And he loves reading and analyzing the stories of Nephi within the Book of Mormon.

The thing that I love about Galveston is that I'm not just teaching the Hispanic people, but I'm also allowed to enter into a black person's world and teach them too! There's a family that came to church on Sunday who is a black version of the family on "While You Were Sleeping." There's always SO MANY people in there house and it take a lot to get them to calm down, stop talking about the creaminess of the mashed potatoes that they ate the other day, and listen to a lesson. However, our patience has paid off. Three of them came to church on Sunday and said they really liked it. They're all really active in another church, but they were intrigued with the Book of Mormon. Linda, the Mom, has been reading every single chapter we've assigned them. She even took the Book of Mormon with her on a road trip last week and read in the car. She knows its true, but she has a hard time understanding that only one church can be the true church. Her husband Charles and her 26 year old son is starting to grab a hold of this too. Sister Campbell and I have recognized the power that we're able to teach with when we're with them. It doesn't happen in any other lesson really.

Yesterday when we were knocking at 8:15 p.m., there were three different families that told us we'd better get out of the neighborhood fast! They said that Galveston is becoming more and more dangerous at night and if we're on the streets, people will think we're selling drugs. One lady was hilarious. She was mad at us for being so "stupid" in walking around to share the gospel. She told us, "You two would be better off in Salt Lake City," (She had no idea we were from there) "That place is full of mountains and good looking men. Blue eyes, blonde hair, strong. I'd fill up your tank right now so that you could get off this God-forsaken island and live there." We tried to excitedly tell her that we're from there, but she didn't listen. She kept going on and on about the life in Salt Lake City and how stupid we are for not living there until I finally said, "You know what. You've convinced me. I'm getting on a plane next week after packing up my stuff and I'm going to Salt Lake." She was pleased and we all went our separate ways. Luckily nothing has happened to us yet while on this island and apparently it's true that it's getting pretty bad with drugs and crime.

I think in the last few weeks, I've been numb to the fact that I'm going home, or even that I'm a missionary. I've been having to pull myself out of the clouds a lot and try REALLY hard to focus on serving these people. In this last week, I just want so badly to serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. I want to know that I did EVERYTHING in my power to serve my Heavenly Father, my companion, and my fellow Galvestonians. I'm sure grateful that Heavenly Father is a loving teacher and that He doesn't hold grudges when we fail to complete a commandment. I know He loves all His children. I know that the process of repentance is real and that agency is completely ours. We have the power to accept or reject help from our Heavenly Father. We have the power to also accept or reject the tempting ideas from Lucifer and his cohorts. I've realized that I'm an agent to act for myself and not to be acted upon. I do have the power to make a difference in my own life and I know that my actions affect the lives of others.
I love learning.
I love this gospel.
I love being with my family.

and I love arroz con leche.

Until we meet again,
Hermana Langston

1 comment:

THE BADGERS said...

Who DOESN't love Arroz con leche???...am I right Dad? (with raisins of course)

Of courese, who wouldn't love Hermana Langston even more!! Can't wait for her to come home.