Monday, July 13, 2009

July Greetings!

Hi everybody!
It's been a really incredible week. First, it's been wet. We were on the bikes last Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday while our car was in the shop and we felt the need for a change of clothes three to four times throughout the day but the beautiful thing is that doing this work, it doesn't bother us as much as it probably should.
Sister Campbell had a spill on her bike while talking on the phone to the people at Toyota. Right over the ol' handlebars she went. And it made for some good laughs all week long.
Two more people have felt the power of this gospel and want to be baptized! Angel is a 20 year old guy from Mexico who was a referral from a member referral. His friend moved to another state, but he's still coming to church with us and listening to the lessons and now he is preparing himself for baptism. He told us that the stuff he's learning now -- the fact that we lived with God as spirits, that we are to be on this earth to learn from the hard times, and that we have God's help through a divinely organized church-- all has been stuff that he never knew. And he's excited to be baptized to see the help of God more in his life.
Mike Yeh, the husband of a member, has also agreed to be baptized. We set a date for him to be smoke free by the end of July and then be baptized a week later. He's been so much more hopeful in lessons and he didn't doubt at all that he'd be able to do it. It's really exciting for me to see people change into happier people through learning this gospel. I don't think all of them realize how amazing of a guy Joseph Smith was, but I'll go ahead and start making it known.
We've also been teaching a girl from China who is a friend to the Jones Family. She's so smart and so outgoing. She doesn't come from a Christian background, however, and she's still learning English so we've been teaching very basic with her. In learning about Jesus Christ, and why He needed to come to the earth, she exclaimed, "Oh I get it! So we produce a lot of happiness but also a lot of sadness, and Jesus has the job to take all of our sadness from us and get rid of it." I'm telling you, this girl is SMART! She's starting to pray more and her demeanor has changed since we first started teaching her. She seems more sober.
I have been learning so much about the human race while here. Each child of God is uniquely different and has his or her own needs to be met in order to be perfected. It's amazing to me that God is able to meet the needs of so many people who are so completely different, and that He's able to love us despite our weaknesses. I've been trying to learn how to see past my own weaknesses so that I can confidently teach the doctrine to those who are hungry for it. I've been trying to see past the weaknesses of others in order to love them the way that God would. All of us live in an imperfect world, surrounded with imperfect situations, and act very imperfectly. Yet amidst all this, our Heavenly Father's love is perfect. Is it any wonder that when we feel this love for the first time, we are taken aback and amazed? And each time we feel it afterwards, we can't help but feel grateful. What will it feel like to live in a perfect world with someone who loves us so perfectly? I sure wouldn't know, but I'm glad that God is willing to show us little foretastes while we're here on this earth.
I know that I'm being led by the Spirit. I know that this church is being led by the only chosen prophet of God on the earth. I know that obedience to this gospel brings happiness and a conversion.
I love you all!
Love,
HErmana LAngston

No comments: