Monday, January 5, 2009

Greetings!

Hey Guys! It's me.
Last monday, the district was invited by the bishop and his wife to go to downtown Houston and watch an imax film. So...it took up a lot of our Pday. The funny thing is that we were running late and the elders and bishop called and said, we are driving to the train station right now but you could meet us there if you hurry. Feeling rushed, we decided it wasn't worth it and just went home to put our groceries away. Immediately one of the elders called and asked if we were on our way but we told him to go on without us. He was so solid and apalled as he screeched, "What?? You're not even going to try? Get in the car! You still have time!" We couldn't not go through with it. We got in the car, hurried to the station, missed the train but caught the next one, got to the museum district where 2 of the elders were waiting for us at the station, gave them our bags and we all ran full speed to the theatre where we made it just in time to see the movie. It was so good and what's funny is as I sat next to the bishop's wife and watched "The Grand Canyon Adventure," I realized how grateful I was to that elder for motivating me to do something that I would have otherwise missed out on. Thank goodness he's his brother's keeper and looks out for us when we need a helping hand from our friends. We ended up having so much fun in downtown Houston and he said at the end of the day, "You see? Doesn't it pay off to try?"

Anyway, the work is going along. The ward is so great and so motivated to make and keep goals for the new year. The bishop is so loving but firm. We're still working towards finding a family that's ready for baptism. The cool news, though, is that we found a 16 year old boy who is so hungry for the truth. He's getting baptized on Feb 8th. He's the miracle story of last Sunday where a less active went with us to visit him. He asked so many good questions and when we set up an appt with him on Sunday, he called us back immediately and asked if we could teach him right then. He wanted to know how he could get into the celestial kingdom. We had a lesson with him in the home of an amazing member family's home and the kid immediately bonded with the dad of the home. The boy's father isn't around because his dad is a drunk and apparently the boy, Jorge, has seen some pretty rough days in his time in Mexico.

Yesterday was a struggle. There are some days when I'm super motivated to work, but then there are days that I'm in a bit of a stoop. Yesterday was one of those. It was amazing though because all the temptations and negative thoughts that crept into my head were able to be conquered by just praying and deciding to overcome. At the end of the night, I was so happy that we'd made it through. And we even found a few families that are pretty potential.

New Years Eve was indeed fun. We went to Hermana Escobar's house with our 4 elders and she had made us our own special meal! It was amazingly delicious! After that we went home, planned and slept.
Peggy and Allison are cool. Thank you two for sending me such a wonderful little christmas package!
Happy Birthday, Grandpa! I thought of you the other day and wanted to come over there and give you a hug.

I love you all. I love this work. I know more now than ever that Heavenly Father loves us and this work is the living work of God on the earth. I'm so grateful that His son Jesus Christ has made me a stronger person so that I can be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.
Everyone, please write me. It helps so much.
Love,Hermana Langston

No comments: