Saturday, December 20, 2008

Buying Christmas!

This Pday has been a good ol fashion christmas service day so far. The district and I went to Walmart and bought some presents for some investigators in the ward. We're not sure how well off they are, but we all pitched in $8 to buy them something Real Nice.
I can't even believe that Christmas is just over a week away. Us missionaries have a lot that we need to do in order to get ready for a Christmas activity this Saturday. We're in charge of giving a tour of the church building and teaching a little bit about the life of Jesus Christ in each room. We need to do a lot of practicing to know exactly what we're going to say so that it doesn't take too long and that the spirit is still kept.
We've had some fun Christmas activities this week as a ward and as a zone in the mission. We had a sister's gift exchange in the ward, and for the first time I saw all the Latina women get all excited and riled up and dance to weird music and I felt like I was in another country and with a different culture. But the ladies in this ward really do love one another and are recognizing the need to be more united and striving to love and serve one another more so that they can be more united and happier.
Also, this Saturday we had a "service" project in downtown Houston where about 3 zones and the mission president volunteered to help with an organization called "Navidad en el Barrio." The poorest kids of about 20 schools were invited to attend this activity and so us missionaries just needed to be the chaperones for each group. We sat with them during a 3 hour long program and then guided them into another room where they opened their presents (given by various sponsors). Me and Hna Campbell were in charge of Long Fellow Elementary and those kids are amazing! I fell in love with them instantly and couldn't help but entertain them through the three hours of boredom before their presents. I even made a scene for one of the boys, Jose, because he triple dog dared me to dance in front for everyone. It wasn't in front of EVERYONE, but it seemed like all the missionaries saw. There were many who taped me dancing. Soon Hna Burke joined me. It was so much fun and Jose gave me a big ol grin while he watched me.

This is where Jeanette's letter ends. She added another sentence but it ended in the middle of a word.

No comments: