Hola Familia y Amigos
First off, what I'm about to write in this email will not do justice to what I experienced this past week. Each day was a learning experience of some new principle. Each day I worked harder and harder. And each day I grew more and more tired. But throughout it all, I thought A LOT about the ones I loved most and how I wanted to be with them.It all started at transfer meeting where I met my baby. She's from Oakley, California and is eager to learn. From that meeting, we drove to our new apartment in Houston 9. We're in the city. We unpacked a little bit, backed our emergency three day pack, bought some food and water, and went to sleep. In the morning, we evacuated to the mission home where I still am currently. Four companionships stayed here and all the elders who didn't have members to stay with camped out at the church building (I have pictures and a cassette tape that hopefully I'll have time to send today).Friday night the storm came through.In the morning we went outside and saw a lot of fallen trees and tree limbs littered the streets. We began small by helping the neighbors in this rich neighborhood of sugarland and they were all SO grateful. We didn't realize the work that lay ahead of us cleaning up all other parts of the Gulf area.The storm affected the northern parts of our mission the hardest. Unfortunately where I got moved is pretty north so our apartment complex is still without power but nothing within our apartment is destroyed. In the complex, a few buildings had its siding and shingles ripped off. One building was stripped down to the insulation is some parts. Gas station coverings were completely toppled. Street lights were dangling by the cords at some intersections. There's been a lot of cool damage but nothing too major. Once our apt gets power we'll move back in.The yellow shirts have brought us a lot of attention. In fact, on Saturday, the missionaries split up into groups and we went down to Lake Jackson, TX and Friendswood with over 1,000 volunteer members from Austin to clean up the area. The mayor of Lake Jackson gave a speak thanking the mormons for the selfless service. It made me want to join the army. But people have been coming out of the woodwork to greet us and ask us what this is all about. I've seen people cry at their doorstep when we showed up to help them. I've gotten more hugs during this time than I've gotten in my whole life---and I've received a few awkward man hugs.
DAVID!! I met a black guy from Oklahoma who graduated from Langston University. I told him about you and luckily the guy has a license plate cover that says Langston University so we got a picture next to it.My companion is learning a lot and I'm learning a lot of patience. I've had to throw aside a lot of bad habits and a lot of my pride to raise her up proper. I'm anxious to get back to prosyliting and so is she. She's got the greenie spirit and that's good.I still don't know my address but until I get it to you all, PLEASE write me at the mission office address:4627 Austin PkwySugarland TX 77479It's amazing how much the Lord has blessed us in this past week. The members have taken really good care of us. The mission president has been very organized and orderly in taking care of business and we've been able to work hard but be safe.I wish I had more time to write all my spiritual experiences because there have been many, but you'll be getting a tape in the mail.
Thank you all so much for your encouraging and uplifting emails. I love knowing how you're all improving and growing in your own lives and the growth that you're seeing around you. Keep sending me these experiences and please find time to write me a quick letter. Daniel and David, I really want to hear just a quick what what from you guys because I've been thinking about you two a lot lately. (Turns out I've been carrying around a picture of you two with your beards on St. Patrick's day more than I've carried around a whole family picture...meh).
Peggy, I've enjoyed getting every single one of your letters and I'm so grateful to have a best friend like you. I love you all so much. I'm grateful for this gospel more than I'm grateful that I've been able to eat cereal for free this whole week. I love this gospel! I love cereal, but I love this gospel more than words can express. I love the Lord and I truly love people. I love that everyone is different and that from each person I can learn so much to make me a better person. Learn to love your neighbors. Learn from them.
Mom, you're my hero. Thank you for being there for me always and thank you for the pictures.
Love,Hermana Langston
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I think Connie desreves "hero" status as well! She is a great mom who oblviously is nuts for her kids! What an intense experience in hurricane-land. But it seems like many doors will open now that might not have before. Way to go!
Post a Comment