Monday, July 6, 2009

Feliz cuatro de julio!

This picture is of the Galveston missionaries going to the library (today) to hope for an open computer, but it turns out that the library itself wasn't even open. So we took a picture and came to a member's house.

Me and Hna Campbell holding chicks - this was last monday when we went into a member's home for an FHE lesson. Out of the blue, the front door opened, and all these chicked came cheeping in to greet us. The little boy in the center of us had let them out of their cage and was excited to show us his chickens.
The puppy is someone we found on the street. He should be Galveston's mascot because it's obvious with all that he's suffered, he is still full of hope for his future...

I thought a lot about the birthday celebration that must have happened this weekend. Happy birthday to my brothers and Keiti and Emily! Happy birthday to Peggy tomorrow! I hope you got the birthday cards. Peggy and Daniel, you have something coming your way.
So how were the desserts for the fourth? That's one thing I could have had more of on my holiday--dessert! But yesterday a member saved the day and gave us a big ol chunk of pretzel, creamcheese, jello stuff. Really hit the sweet tooth spot. On Saturday, our zone met with the new president and his family. They are really good people! All six of the kids spoke -- even the three year old -- and I felt the spirit so strong with each one. I thought I wouldn't care about the new president and his family, but I've fallen in love with them already and have a greater respect for all of them. Later that day we went out to lunch with the missionaries and got back to work. The night ended with seeing the fireworks from the road.
This work is getting more and more exciting! Missionary work is becoming more than just finding! We're starting to take the role as expert teacher. No longer do we waste hours at tracting, but the members are starting to pull through in bringing us referrals and inviting their friends into their homes for lessons. We have a lesson tonight with a boy who Hermana Rivera met at her garage sale and he's so interested that he came to church yesterday with his friend. Tonight we have a lesson with another branch family and on Thursday we'll teach them again with the Rivera family.
Also we're going into english members' homes and having amazingly motivational lessons about inviting people into their homes. The members are amazing! I love working with them. As far as the heat goes, it's hot! Each morning at 6:30 when we get up to run, it's already warm and VERY humid. The air just swarms me when I walk out the door. But everyone we visit offers us water so it works out.
I'm more than excited to come home, but I'm enjoying sharing the gospel so much. I never thought that missionary work could be so fun. Talking to strangers about different topics of the gospel turns into a very spiritual experience and strangers feel it too. Texas is a wonderful place to me, but even more than that, my Heavenly Father has become a wonderful, merciful, strict, yet patient father to me. I know this gospel is true, I know that obedience to it brings lasting peace, and I know that I am now a stronger person because of my decision to overcome temptation and live according to the words of the prophets.

I love you all
Les Quiero Mucho.
Love, Hermana Langston

No comments: