Hola familia!
Como estamos? Quiero dejarles saber que todavia vivo aun despues de un diluvio aqui. Mucha lluvia!
We had a good ol fashioned Texas rain on Saturday. It rained real hard for 4 hours straight and I took a couple of videos for you. We weren't sure if we were supposed to be out working but we did anyway and as we drove to our appointment, the street turned into a swimming pool really fast. I didn't realize how deep it was until the car started making funny noises and I totally pulled the car up onto the curb to get the engine out of the water a little better. Hermana Gibson and I said a prayer and backed that thing up and drove back to higher ground as fast as possible. We parked real far away from the house and waded through water that went up to my knees (up to Hna Gibson's shins). The lady was appauled (sp?) that we did that to get to the appointment. She was assuming that we wouldn't show up because of the rain. After that appt, we got a call saying don't drive anywhere for at least an hour so that the streets could clear up. It was a really fun adventure. Neat!
Training Hna Gibson is really fun. She's an amazing teacher and even though she doesn't understand or speak spanish very well, she's brought the spirit so strongly into all our appointments. One of which was with Jose Alvarez. He's a 30 year old guy from Hondurus that has been humbled because of his loneliness here in America. When we started teaching him, he recognized that we were angels sent from God and for that reason, he didn't have a hard time believing what we were teaching. However, he did have a hard time accepting the need for a second baptism. We had a lesson with him and a member and talked about his doubts. We wanted to give him a baptismal date and we prayed really hard before going into the appt to know whether or not he was ready. When we were talking, it seemed like he had too many doubts to accept baptism. But at a certain point in the lesson, Hna Gibson opened her mouth after not having said a word the whole time and with tears said, "Jose, I know that you are ready for baptism." Jose sat there a minute and began a long monologue about the first time he met us and talked about all the signs that just pointed out the fact that God was answering his prayers through us. He said to us that before Hna Gibson even said anything, he said in his heart, 'God. The minute that this girl opens her mouth and speaks, I'll know that you are speaking to me.' He knew that our message was true because he felt the spirit. We gave him a date for the 16th of may and after thinking a few seconds, he said, "Acepto." For those of you who don't habla espanol, acepto is spanish for "I accept." The man basically said, "I do." And he's been happy ever since.
Luis is still doing good. He is trying to get together enough money and eliminate a lot of responsibilties to be able to serve a mission in a year. For that reason, he's probably going to move to New York. I'm trying to put together a testimony book for him before he goes with the testimonies of all the people who were at his baptism.
Daniel Fuentes got the priesthood this Sunday and has the calling of ward greeter. He's so scared but knows that it's what he needs to get over his social anxiety. He's so humble and accepting of what the Lord has prepared for him. He has a lot of faith.
I'm learning to be less selfish. It's hard not to want to stop and relax. But what's keeping me going is looking outside myself. I look at all the people who are hopeless about life or who have lost any desire to do what's right and who would be happier with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Turns out there are a lot more people like this than I realized.
I love you all. I'm so grateful to be serving the Lord right now. I'm so grateful to have a family who loves and supports me in what I do. I admire my family so much and want to be able to be as selfless as the brothers and sisters I have who are giving up everything to be a dad or mom or whatever it may be.
Les quiero muchisimo!
Con carino,
Hermana Langston
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment